Good afternoon Members,
Here is the latest Government Update sent to me from OHBA. The OHBA has been amazing in getting these updates together for all the Executive officers so that we can distribute this information to our members.
The focal point today was LTC, so there isn’t much on economic recovery/other aspects relevant to our sector.
Just a reminder of a couple items from yesterday,
- Ontario Tools Grant : To be eligible for the new grant, apprentices must have completed Level 1 training on or after April 1, 2020; an active registered training agreement; and been registered as an apprentice for at least 12 months. Workers in the construction sector can receive up to $600 each. Application date is still TBD.
- Paid Sick Days: These conversations are continuing between the federal and provincial governments. Long term impacts on our sector are being monitored by CHBA. Will share anything we learn.
- Commercial Rental Subsidy opens today in Ontario: Landlords must initiate the application.
- #SmallBusinessBigHearts: Campaign by Ontario Associate Minister of Small Business and Red Tape Reduction, Prabmeet Sarkaria has launched a #OntarioSpirit nomination program to highlight businesses that are supporting their local communities. You can nominate a member by emailing email@example.com and explain what that member is doing to support their community (volunteering, supporting vulnerable community members, food donations etc.)
- LTC report by the Canadian Forces confirms that each of these homes which are in crisis are now being managed by the local hospitals.
- Premier has requested the extension of the CF mission another 30 days.
- Investigation by the Chief Coroner has been ordered by the government and findings will be made public. Criminal charges may be laid.
Prime Minister’s Update
- CAF has provided the federal government with glaring report on the LTC situation in Ontario. Premier to address at 1 p.m.
- GM Oshawa to make 5 million face masks.